Our newest release Minecraft: Education Edition version 1.7.1 has quite a few important changes. This article will take a look in-depth at all of the new features. (iPad is 1.7.3)
- Code Builder can now be used in the game rather than via a separate app. Players will be able to launch code builder using "C" if you are using a mouse/keyboard or by pressing the agent icon next to pause/chat on the top center of the screen while on touch.
- Code.org and Scratch will not be present at launch in-game, TBD on when they will be there. You can still use the Code Connection app to use these applications
- "/code" no longer works
Agent Improvements (based on community feedback)
- Players will be able to target their agent (as well as any other agent in the world if they are wb) via commands, show agent coordinates on the HUD, and remove agents from the world (using "/remove")
The Library Beta
- We added a library, a feature which allows players to view and download worlds in-game without having to go to our website. Players will see a new button on their home screen called "Library" which leads to a list of dynamically generated "must have" worlds
Mouse and Keyboard Heads-up-display (HUD)
- We've added mouse and keyboard control tips to the HUD in-game to help our new players learn the fundamentals of movement, breaking/placing, and more. These will be on by default for teachers and off by default for students and can be configured in the settings menu
Education Content in “How to Play”
- We’ve added education content to the “How to Play” menu
- We've added an Educator Resources button on the home screen (which will show for teachers only) that takes users to a new resource on our website designed to connect them with the latest and greatest training, lessons and community content
- All players will now enter games with Worldbuilder settings set to false
- Agent detect up/down does not work correctly with half blocks
- All players will enter the world with world builder settings set to false. This is by design.
- Exporting portfolio, clicking links on NPCs (and any change of focus to the game) will disconnect users connected to that session multiplayer **iPad-only**
- No Music in iPad version
- Minecraft: Education Edition v1.7.0 is supported on Windows 10 1607 (RS1) and above. Windows 10 1511 (TH2) and below is not supported
- You can use the prior version of Minecraft: Education Edition (v1.4.0) on Windows 10 1511 (TH2). Note that multiplayer sessions will not work for players on different versions of M:EE
- In early 2019, we will release a new version of M:EE that will work on all versions of Windows
- Users on Windows 10 1607 may be unable to use the multiplayer feature.
- The best fix is to upgrade your Windows 10. If this is not possible please submit a request for detailed firewall instructions