Schools that have purchased Microsoft 365 A3 or A5 through VL are now able to distribute Office and Minecraft: Education Edition through a single action.
If a school has Minecraft: Education Edition licenses on their tenant as part of their Volume Licensing A/3/5 subscription, admins can choose to toggle Minecraft: Education Edition for Students using Office 365 A3 A5. By default the admin setting is turned ON (as of 1/07/2019). This can be deselected in either of these two portals:
- Office 365 A3 A5 details page in Microsoft Store for Education, under Settings & actions, you can deselect Allow access to Minecraft: Education Edition for users of Office 365 A3 or Office 365 A5
- Office 365 A3 A5 details page in Microsoft 365 Admin center, under Billing > Products & services > you can select Allow access to Minecraft: Education Edition to users of Office 365 A3 or Office 365 A5
- Ensure Preview is toggled on
1. When access to Minecraft: Education for users with an A3/A5 license is ON in admin center (default)
2. When access to Minecraft: Education Edition for users with an A3/A5 license is OFF in admin center
Why are we releasing this feature?
We continue to see VL customers with paid Minecraft licenses confused, or unhappy by the fact that they have to go to a different portal, and manage Minecraft licenses separately. As a result, we see much lower Minecraft licenses assigned compared to the other products included in M365. We’re enabling this feature to allow admins to more easily manage their M365 VL subscription as a single product.
What is the default setting?
By default it’s ON.
What happens if I unassign Office 365 A3 A5 license from a user? Does it affect any M:EE users who are already entitled to use M:EE based on the Office 365 A3 A5 license?
As M:EE licenses are cached 30 days, all the current M:EE users who are entitled to use M:EE based on the Office 365 A3 A5 can use M:EE till the cache expires.
Who is the target audience for this release?
Any tenant with Microsoft 365 A3 A5 VL will see this experience.