Minecraft: Education Edition is available for anyone to try for free! The free trial is fully-functional but limited by the number of logins (25 for teachers and 10 for students) before a paid license will be required to continue playing.
This article is Part 1 of a multi-part guide: Get Started with Minecraft: Education Edition (all Platforms)
- Trying Minecraft: Education for Free <-YOU ARE HERE
- Purchasing Licenses for Minecraft: Education Edition
- Managing Licenses for Minecraft Education Edition
- Deploying Minecraft: Education Edition Apps
- Training Teachers in Minecraft: Education Edition
Features of the Trial
- A full version of Minecraft: Education Edition (see features)
- Compatible with Code Connection and Classroom Mode (try the full experience in your classroom)
- Login based, not time-based
Things you need to play your free trial of Minecraft: Education Edition – or will create while you are getting set up.
- Have you met the technical requirements?
- Do you have an Office 365 Education account?
- You will need to get one to log in to the game if you do not have one already – it is free to get, but you need one to confirm you have a valid education account (explore eligibility requirements).
Let's get started!
- Click the purple Get Started button.
- Enter your email address for your school (or Office 365 Education account, it is possible they are the same).
- If you are recognized as having a valid education related account, you will be taken to our download page to install the software.
- If you do not have a recognized email account, you will see a green pop-up box prompting you to set up an Office 365 Education account. Go here to get started, then return to this page when you are done, and continue getting started with Education Edition.
- Download the proper version of Minecraft: Education Edition for your operating system. From there, you can install the software, log in to the software with your Office 365 Education account, and learn to play.
Please note, trial logins cannot be refreshed – please contact support right away if you have any issues so you don’t use all your trial logins!
After your trial logins have been used, Minecraft: Education Edition is available to purchase for 5 dollars US per user (or local currency equivalent), per year, or through a district-wide licensing model.
- Learning to Play Minecraft: Education Edition
- Connect with other educators directly via our website or forums
- Explore the full Knowledge Base
Updated June 5, 2018